Sunday, September 24, 2023

Belair National Park - Orchids and other wildflowers

Today was a lovely spring day, so I decided to go for a cycle ride and orchid hunt in Belair National Park. 


There were lots of orchids and other wildflowers to be seen. The most common was Waxlip Orchid (also known as Blue Cockatoo) 


There were also a lot of Bulldogs, some single flowers and some with multiple blooms



An orchid I don't see very often is Cowslip Orchid


I was really looking out for sun-orchids, and I did find a few.  Most common was Common Pink Sun-orchid. 



I also saw Slender Sun-Orchid in both it's lilac and white colour forms


Another sun-orchid is Rabbit-ears



I was also looking for Spider Orchids, and saw a few King Spider Orchids




Amongst the native wildflowers I saw were Yellow Star, Milkmaids, Fringed Lily and Billy Buttons, 





I also saw Synnotia and Cape Tulip, both introduced from South Africa and considered weeds in South Australia.



Finally, a mystery flower. I have not been able to identify this one.  Update - Identified as Leek Lily - Bulbine semibarbata - Thanks Bec!!





No comments:

Post a Comment