Tuesday, August 13, 2013

A springlike winter walk around Kaurna Wetlands Park

Maryann and I have been super busy over the past few weeks so we have had no time to get out.

Sunday morning dawned bright and still, so I took Kobe in one hand, and my camera in the other, and took a walk around Kaurna wetlands.    Even though we are still in winter here, the morning had a definite springlike feel to it.   It was very still, and the reflections on the main inlet pool were beautiful.

Lots of birds were singing, some common others not so.  Red Wattlebird is very common here, as is Crested Pigeon.  Magpielark is here all year round, and I have found quite a few of its mud bowl nests, though rarely with Mum in situ!



A common bird two kilometres (1 mile) away, but less common in the park is Sulphur-crested Cockatoo.  Australian Pelicans are often seen soaring over the park, so it was a nice surprise to see this one land and rest a while. 


I took a long shot of some ducks roosting, thinking they would be Pacific Black Ducks, but on closer inspection, I think they may be Freckled Duck, an irruptive species that I haven't seen here before.  It's always great to get a new bird on your local patch!

The "heron tree" had a Great Egret, but he flew to the middle of the wetlands before I got there.   Also on the tree was an Australian Darter, only the second I have recorded here in almost five years.


On the way back, a small group of Purple-crowned Lorikeets entertained, feeding busily on the Eucalyptus blossoms.

3 comments:

  1. I think you could be right with the duck - they do have that "pointy" head sort of look to them.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tony Lovely set of images ,you certainly get a wide variety over there.
    Its always nice when you get a new species in the area,
    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely pictures as always Mr C :o)

    ReplyDelete