Thursday, September 7, 2023

Cornwall

 One day I headed down into Cornwall.  The plan was to call into Bodmin Airfield, where I made 3 parachute jumps in 1977, and then to ST Just (location of my first ever flight) and Penzance to check out the new heliport that services helicopter flights to the Isles of Scilly 

On the way to Bodmin, I remembered that there used to be a Lightning on a pole at Castle Motors at Liskeard.  It was still there. Lightning F-6 XS936



At Bodmin I had a great time chatting to the guys from the flying club, and they were happy for me to wander into the hangers there.  The planes were really crammed in tightly and made for some interesting attempts at photographing them. Amongst the twenty or so aircraft here were this Auster J1 G-AIGD and a very smart RV-12A G-CJIC




A Kitfox 2 G-BTTY was nice, as were Jodels G-ARRY a very dusty D140 and BHXS a D120




I was told that Aeroncas G-IVOR 
(an 11AC) and G-BPFM (A7AC) are often in the air together along with the Auster shown earlier.




An interesting plane here was the NAC-1 Freelance G-NACI, designed and built be Desmond Norman of Britten-Norman fame.  This is the original prototype, and as far as I know the only one ever completed



As I got closer to St Just, the sea fog rolled in and visibility was down to only 50 yards or so.   All Scilly Skybus flights were grounded so I did see one of their  Islanders (G-SSKY) and three Twin Otters including G-ISSG and G-BIHO





The only other plane visible was a visiting TB-10 Tobago G-OFIT



Penzance Heliport was also fogged in and there was nothing to see there at all.  A good reason to go back when I visit next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment