Friday, October 24, 2014

Spring birding

I managed to find a couple of hours for a quick trip out today.  I birded between St Kilda and Port Gawler, just to the north of Adelaide.

It was very quiet to start with, but I did happen on this little story...... Once upon a time there were three White-winged Fairy-wrens, Daddy, Mummy and little baby.......



At Port Gawler things got better as there were a few waders about.  Resident Red-kneed Dotterels and a few migrant Sharp-tailed Sandpipers.



There was also a very confiding Red-necked Avocet which allowed me to get my best photos of this species yet.

As usual, the Pied Butcherbird was trying his luck along the edge of the samphire and there were plenty of Singing Honeyeaters doing what they do best.....singing!



3 comments:

  1. Wow, gorgeous collection of birds. The Avocet is beautiful and I love the cute Wren!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Tony, I was thrilled to capture the white winged fairy wrens at the Pt. Augusta Arid Lands Bot. Gardens recently and was surprised that the brown youngster had white wings. None of the oohs mention that possibility.

    ReplyDelete