Saturday, October 30, 2010

Cleland Wildlife Park - working bee part 1

This morning I was on a working bee at Cleland Wildlife Park. Around 100 volunteers turned up to weed and mulch various areas in the park. The weather forecast was not good, and proved to be accurate as showers turned to drizzle, then to rain. My group was working on the edge of the lake, and as we walked round to start we saw a pair of Chestnut Teal, and Rajah Shelduck. We were also close to the Koala display, and this chap looked most disgruntled. He was cold, wet, AND we were disturbing him! I noticed a lovely Grevillea by the path and took a couple of shots. The first showing the flower almost open, and the second fully open. After we finished working, we were treated to a sausage sizzle and a talk by the education officer. He showed us a Squirrel Glider, (a tiny possum), a couple of sleepy reptiles and a lovely Black-breasted Buzzard. We were then free to wander around the park, so I headed off on my usual route through the open areas and the aviaries. One of the first wild birds I noticed was a Common Bronzewing dipping into the Emu food, whilst nearby were some New-holland Honeyeaters. A rustle in the bushes gave away this Bettong, a rat-like marsupial. The park is in great shape with flowers everywhere. I don't know what these are, but the contrasting colours caught my attention. In the woodland aviary, this Dusky Woodswallow was the only co-operative bird. There are a number of Tree Ferns the aviary, and this one was just throwing out a new stem. Outside is a small feeding station where you regularly get to see Red-browed Finches. Part 2 to follow......

2 comments:

  1. What a great way to get involved Tony, specially with a sausage sizzle to look forward to at the end! (-: Love the unfurling tree fern frond and RB Finches were one of my favs when I was over there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jen, I thought of you when I saw the fern!

    ReplyDelete