Monday, December 14, 2009

Kangaroo Island - Part 1 - Admirals Arch

When we arrived on Kangaroo Island (known locally as KI) we drove across to the far end and Flinders Chase National Park. The park was devastated by the bushfires in December 2007 when approximately 95% of the park was burned. We stopped at a viewpoint that looks over a wide area of the park. First port of call was Admirals Arch, a huge natural rock arch that is home to a colony of New Zealand Fur Seals. From here we went a few kilometres south to Remarkable Rocks, a collection of huge granite stones weather into amazing shapes by the wind and rain.

4 comments:

  1. What a fantastic place Tony! I can see why you'd go back there many times. Those scultured rocks are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jen, yes, another little bit of paradise right on my doorstep!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The seals have cute little ears! Do I recall correctly that they can close their ears for diving? or did I just make that up? Some of the photos of the Remarkable Rocks look very similar to a photo of a rock formation in the Sonoran Desert near Phoenix Arizona in my blog (http://southenglishtown.blogspot.com/2009/11/phoenix-part-2.html).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Wilma, yes the do look cute - even the big bulls!! - Yes, they close their ears for diving. I wish I could do that!! LOL.

    ReplyDelete