Monday, September 21, 2009

Shipwrecked in Port Augusta

Each time I come to Whyalla, I have to cross the top of the Spencer Gulf at Port Augusta. The bridge is a concrete monstrosity, but running alongside is an old wooden bridge, and alongside that is an old shipwreck. On the way home on Sunday, I needed a break, so I stretched my legs by the old bridge. The old bridge is still intact, and is still used by pedestrians. As you can see, the lighting is solar powered. I googled the shipwreck, and found out that it is the remains of Old Jany, a barge used to carry traffic across the gulf to Port Augusta West before the Great Western Bridge was completed in 1927. There were also a few flowers out, proving that spring is well and truly on the way. I have not managed to identify any of them.........any budding botanists out there?? Update: 23/09/09 - I am very impressed!! With your help I have managed to identify all three flowers. The top one is Echium fastuosum "Pride of Madeira", The middle one is Osteospermum sp. "Cape Marigold" and the bottom one Convolvulus cheorum "Silver Bush". The sad thing is that none of them are native to Australia!!. Well done to Jenny and Frank, and also to Carmela a colleague at work.

4 comments:

  1. That's great that you were able to find out a bit about the old wreck Tony. I can't help you with the flowers I'm afraid except that the last one looks like it might be in the same family as Convulvulous (I don't think I've spelt that right)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jen, thanks for that - yes, I also found a load of info about shipwrecks near Adelaide so I may go hunting for those sometime. I thought the first flower reminded me of Lupins, but I'm not so sure now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tony. Interesting to dig up some history on the barge. The 1st flower looks similar to Echium (family Boraginacae). FAB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Frank, I'll follow that up.

    ReplyDelete