Monday, March 6, 2023

Laratinga Wetlands

 The other morning I took a quick trip down the South-Eastern Freeway to Mount Barker and Laratinga Wetlands.  The water levels were still very high and the sun was very bright which reduced the opportunity for photos because of the glare.

I spotted these Pacific Black Ducks resting with one showing off it beautiful blue/green speculum


A little further on i watched an Australian Grebe feeding.  Each time it surfaced the water droplets rolled off it's back.  I couldn't decide between these two photos so you get 2 for the price of 1!




I was hoping to get some photos of the secretive Spotted Crake, but the water was so high it remained hidden behind the grass - seen but not photographed.  There were a couple of Grey Teal resting in the sun. Their speculum is a white and black bar


I haven't been here for a few years, but there was always a Superb Fairy-wren territory by the path, and the bird wasn't scared by people walking past.  Sure enough, there was a male happily feeding by the path, maybe the son or grandson of the bird I saw years ago.


Another regular spot was a partly submerged tree trunk that always had turtles loafing on it. Only one this time, a Maquarie Turtle



I won't leave it so long before my next visit

No comments:

Post a Comment