Monday, July 24, 2017

Victor Harbor and Goolwa

Today I went to Victor Harbor and Goolwa. After seeing some great video of the birds at Nangawooka Flora Reserve, it was high on my list of places to visit.

There was quite a bit of activity there, particularly amongst the parrots, with plenty of squabbling, and some nest hole prospecting going on.  Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo, Adelaide Rosella, Rainbow Lorikeet and Sulphur-crested Cockatoo were all snapped in quick succession.




The small birds were a bit less cooperative, but I did grab some shots of Brush Wattlebird and House Sparrow.


I then headed top Basham Beach to see if there were any whales there.  On the way, at a small roadside pool I saw White-faced Heron and some White-headed Stilts.  No whales at Basham, but I did catch up with some at the surfing beach at Middleton.



Next stop was Goolwa, but the tide was in so there were no waders to be seen. The usual Purple Swamphens, Dusky Moorhens and Willie Wagtails were around the picnic areas.



On the way out to the boat ramp, there was a family of Black-shouldered Kites in the Pines. and at the ramp were Little Pied Cormorants and a confiding Great Egret.



Heading back, I stopped of at the barrage, and tried my hand with some flight shots.  Firstly with a Caspian Tern and then with the Great Crested Terns.  I am so glad I am not shooting film! These are the best from around 200 frames.





Last shots of the day were of a much more sedate Australian Pelican...

3 comments:

  1. Great assortment of birds. Digital can make it so much easier and CHEAPER to learn how to get the shots you want!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed these shots of the South Coast Tony. Thanks for sharing - Cath, Innes NP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cath. Good to hear from you. Hope you're well.

      Delete