Thursday, April 20, 2017

Birding to the south of Adelaide

The other weekend, after hearing reports of an Australian Bustard on Hindmarsh Island, I decided to head south and see if it was still about.

As I crossed the bridge from Goolwa onto the island, it started to rain and there was a spectacular rainbow.

 
 

I criss-crossed the island and did not find the elusive bustard.  There were a few flocks of Elegant Parrots, one of which was happy to perch close to a Nankeen Kestrel.



There were also good numbers of Cape Barren Geese, and a group of Straw-necked Ibis.


Heading back, I checked out the Murray Mouth, but it was high tide so no waders to speak of.  As usual there was a Great Egret standing guard just south of the barrage.
On my way through the hills I called in to Laratinga Wetlands at Mount Barker.  The White-faced Herons were very obliging, as were the Black-fronted Dotterels. 



And, of course, a visit to Laratinga is never complete without an Australian Spotted Crake or two!!
 

1 comment:

  1. Great photos, Tony. That double rainbow was incredible!

    ReplyDelete