Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Limestone Coast (Part 1)

This weekend, Maryann and I were on the Limestone Coast. This area is around 350 Km (220 miles) South East of Adelaide, and has wonderful coastal scenery, with sandy beaches and rugged cliffs. We were based at Robe, a lovely little town nestled around a small harbour. The weather was mixed, very wet at the beginning, then windy, but clearing nicely at the end. On the way, photo opportunities were very few and far between, but I did snap this Spotted Pardalote whilst stretching my legs in the Coorong National Park. Just outside Robe is a small lake, and here I spotted a Little Egret standing patiently. The Australian race (nigripes) differs from the nominate race in that it has yellow only on the soles of its feet. There was also a Pied Cormorant here. Nearby in a tidal channel were a distant group of Royal Spoonbills, and a Black-fronted Plover. (the plover is cropped at over 100% so is not very clear - sorry!!) The coast is king here and try as I might I couldn't capture the full majesty of the views. Sheltering on one of the cliff faces were a large group of what looked like pure Rock Doves, but according to my list they are not included in the Australian List except as feral pigeon. We also visited Beachport, which has this impressive 775 metre (2550 feet) long jetty.

No comments:

Post a Comment