Sunday, January 31, 2010

St. Kilda saltfields

When I got back from Gluepot, I had enough time for a short visit to the St. Kilda Saltfields. It wasn't the best time of day, low tide and in the heat of the day, but I still hoped to see a few waders (Shorebirds). I was surprised to find I was first in, and once again disturbed the cormorant roost. these are mainly Little Black Cormorants. As I made my way along the main track, I started seeing all of the usual waders. There were plenty of visiting Common Greenshanks and also a few resident White-headed Stilts There is one spot that is a favourite of Terek Sandpiper, and true to form, one was there accompanied by the only Banded Stilt I saw. This pair amused me, and I just had to get a photo of them. The size differential is amazing. This is Masked Lapwing and Sharp-tailed Sandpiper. On one of the main evaporation ponds there was a real commotion as Royal spoonbills and Little egrets fought over a very localised food source. A little further on, there is a freshwater stream that bisects the saltfields. From the bridge I saw a feeding group of Sharp-tailed Sandpipers and Red-necked Stints. These two species are by far the most numerous summer visitors here. Whether it was the heat, or the fact that they were resting, some of the birds were very confiding. So using the car as a hide I managed to get close to three species that are normally pretty timid, so I'll finish with a few studies of them starting with Red-capped Plover, one of our common resident waders. Next is the Red-necked Stint. And finally Sharp-tailed Sandpiper.

10 comments:

  1. Love those Sharp-tailed Sandpiper photos.

    Cheers

    Hugh

    ReplyDelete
  2. An amazing variety of birdlife, Tony. That 400mm lens works a treat.

    One thing though, it would really help if you could include a little map of just where you are when you go away from home, eg to the Gluepot or the Saltfields. I am having trouble locating them via Google.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Hugh, thats a great complimrmnt.

    Hi Julie, Hmmm good idea. I'll see what I can do. In the meantime, Gluepot is 50km N of Taylorville, which is just NW of Waikerie in the SA Riverland. The Saltfields stretch along Gulg St Vincent, N of Adelaide, from Deep Creek to Port Gawler. The Section birders are alowed in stretches from St Kilda to Port Gawler.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That must have have been quite a rush to have all those cormorants fly up from their roost! Don't think I have seen that many at one time. You got some great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Wilma, yes, there are usually a couple of thousand Little Black Cormorants there, but you have to be first car past to see them!! Next time I will try to video them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I'd love to be shooting do there. These shore birds are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Steve, I'd be happy to show you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whow what a wonderful mix of waders Tony. I'd be in seventh heaven with that location. FAB.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Frank. Yes, it certainly is a top spot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great wader shots Tony. I love that Red-capped Plover, we saw them well up at Cairns when we first got to Australia. Also think the Sharp-tailed Sand shots are great!

    ReplyDelete